The Detroit Pistons are now accepting nominees from Metro Detroit and throughout the State of Michigan as part of the “Jr. Pistons Coach of the Year” award program. The program is designed to recognize and celebrate youth basketball coaches that demonstrate outstanding integrity, character and leadership on and off the court.
The top three nominees will be invited to the Pistons Academy Awards Show presented by Kroger at The Palace on March 16. During the show, the Jr. Pistons Coach of the Year winner will be announced. To nominate a local youth basketball coach, visit www.pistons.com/coachoftheyear. The nomination form must be submitted by February 17, 2017. A resume may also be submitted along with the nomination form to further illustrate the nominee’s qualifications.
The voting criteria for selecting the three Jr. Pistons Coach of the Year nominees is listed below.
- Coach exhibits knowledge of the game through his/her understanding of rules, systems of play and coaching philosophy.
- Coach shows respect for officials, opponents, and parents.
- Coach embraces a philosophy of fair play.
- Coach demonstrates commitment to further learning, professional development, mentorship, etc.
- Coach must show concern for the all-around development of the team and provide leadership for students on and off the court.
- Coach goes above and beyond call of action to help his/her youth organization.
- Coach has contributed to his/her community outside the realm of basketball:
- Participation in service organizations within the community.
- Serves as a role model for young athletes he/she has coached.
The top three Jr. Pistons Coach of the Year finalists will receive tickets to an upcoming 2016-17 Pistons home game and the winner will automatically qualify for the National Jr. NBA Coach of the Year selection process.